Who we are
The Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc. (LBCM) is an organization of sixty legislators who dedicate themselves to the mission of ensuring that Black people in the great state of Maryland were equally protected and benefited by the promises of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, as afforded by the United States Constitution.
The mission of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland, Inc. (LBCM) is to serve as a unified public voice for the advancement of African Americans views, issues, and concerns by developing a pipeline of legislative leaders, influencing progressive policy, and educating underserved communities.
The caucus envisions a Maryland where African Americans have an equal voice in informing policies, cultivating leaders, advancing civic engagement, and accessing economic opportunities
To ensure the implementation of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland’s Mission and Vision Statements, the overall goals are:
- To outline a strategic plan which will entail how the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland will play a role in the strengthening of Black Americans.
- Achieve greater Employment Equity and Economic Development opportunities for Black persons.
- Critically evaluate our Educational Systems at elementary, secondary and post-secondary levels.
- Focus on Creating and Investing in greater Housing Opportunities for our Homeless families.
- Assure quality Health Care for every Black American.
- Ensure Criminal Justice for all in Sentencing and Reform Measures.
- Invest in meaningful partnerships that will aid our students in the critical areas of Reading and Financial Literacy
Chair: Delegate Darryl Barnes, District 25
1st Vice: Delegate Jheanelle Wilkins, District 20
2nd Vice: Delegate Melissa Wells, District 40
Secretary: Delegate Rachel Jones, District 27B
Treasurer: Delegate Benjamin Brooks, District 10
Financial Secretary: Delegate Carl Jackson, District 8
Parliamentarian: Delegate Stephanie Smith, District 45
Chaplain: Senator Joanne C. Benson, District 24
Historian: Senator Mary Washington, District 43
(Terms expire 2024)